16 March 2008

Rescued Fishermen have died

It is with great sadness that I have to write this addenda to my entry from the 14th. The two fishermen whose boat went down off the coast of Inishowen in County Donegal on Friday have died in hospital yesterday. As I have not been well myself for the past two days, I only learned of this sad development today.

The two men were elderly - in their 60s and 70s - and went fishing on board of a small trawler, which failed to return to its harbour by lunchtime on Friday. They were reported missing at about 1 p.m.

RNLI and Coast Guard began a search of the area with three lifeboats and the Coast Guard helicopter from Sligo.

The first fisherman was discovered in the water by Friday afternoon and the second was found eventually in the evening after an extensive search. Both were alive and taken to Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry, to be treated for exhaustion and exposure. Unfortunately both men were so weakened that they died overnight.

Our deeply felt sympathy goes out to the families and friends of the two men.

The Emerald Islander

2 comments:

The Wild Goose said...

I'm sad to hear the two fishermen are dead and want to express with you my sympathy to their families and friends.

On the other hand I'm glad to see your entry and know you are feeling better again. I have missed "my daily column".

The Wild Goose said...

I'm sad to hear the two fishermen are dead and want to express with you my sympathy to their families and friends.

On the other hand I'm glad to see your entry and know you are feeling better again. I have missed "my daily column".

Post a Comment