24 March 2008

40th Anniversary of Tuskar Rock Air Crash

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the tragic air crash at Tuskar Rock off County Wexford. Aer Lingus Flight 712 from Cork to London, using a Vickers Viscount 803 aircraft named "St. Phelim" (photo), went down under uncertain circumstances. 61 people died, but only 14 bodies were ever recovered from the sea.

The victims of the crash were remembered at a special Mass in Cork yesterday and the families of those who died have called for a plaque to be erected in Cork to mark the tragedy.
A memorial park to the air crash and its victims was opened in Rosslare, Co. Wexford in August 2006.

To this day the cause of the crash is unclear, despite two official investigations and various conflicting theories. It is one of the unsolved Irish mysteries of modern times, and I have looked into the matter myself recently. Due to other commitments I have not completed my research yet, but I will write here about my findings as soon as possible.

The Emerald Islander

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so what are your findings?

Post a Comment